GallivatinSorensens

GallivatinSorensens

Saturday, May 3, 2014

More Books...

Here's some more books to add to my list!

Black Like Me by John Howard Griffin
pg.200
I read this book with 2 of my students- they were reading it for their book reports for history. I read this book back in high school and loved it! This time around I was more skeptical about all of it. But it's still a great book and I think everyone should read it.
****

Notes from the Midnight Driver by Jordan Sonnenblick
pg.265
We read this as a class and it's super funny.  It's also a great discussion book because the main character is in trouble due to some not so great choices- thus a great book for our students to read in English.
***
Drums, Girls, and Dangerous Pie
pg.273
This book goes hand in hand with the Midnight Driver book.  But if you read this and are an emotional person, be prepared to cry. A lot. I had no shame tearing up in front of the class- mostly because some of the younger students were tearing up too.  It's a fast read and worth it.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/318404.Drums_Girls_Dangerous_Pie
***

A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin
pg.784 (small print, ugh)
Oh Mr. Martin and your love of killing off people's favorite characters... and I just have a hard time reading his writing.  Book 1 was hard, and this book was even harder.  So much pointless stuff! Thus I won't be finishing the series.
***

You Don't Know Me by David Klass
pg.352
Another book written in the same style as Dangerous Pie and Midnight Driver.  So funny though! Some kids were able to relate to this book because the main character was coming from a not so great background.  But it also lead to some great class discussions.  Our English teacher does a great job picking out books for these kids! 
***

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
pg.485
I have access to lots of audio books from school and when I was planning my Zion Half trip I figured why not listen to a book on the long drive rather than listen to music? So I played Russian Book Roulette with the audio books and landed on this. It's not the best book but I enjoyed it. I'll eventually try out book 2 just to see if the series could hold out. Me and Derek rented the movie version of this and holy cow... I know movies based on books stray to make for time and everything but freak.  The movie was a wreak! Don't waste your time with the movie.  Good think I had a free redbox code for that one.
***

UnWholly by Neal Shusterman
pg.402
The 2nd book in the Unwind series.  
I had high hopes for this book after UnWind left me wanting more.
This was kinda a let down.  Yes it did introudce new elements.  Yes it kept the same characters what were still alive at the end of book 1.  However, I just had a hard time reading it.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13406423-unwholly 
**.*

Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Ok so this book doesn't count towards my yearly goal because I didn't finish reading it.
It's a new take on the Cinderella story and it just wasn't for me.  I enjoy reading YA books but this was just too much. And unbelievable.  Yes I know it's a fantasy book hence not "real" to begin with, but they introduced the main love interest in the first 2 pages with them already hitting it off without back stories or anything besides the "plague" they've got going on in their time.  It just didn't seem like the story line was completely figured out. In most books I can forgive the author of that, but in this case... don't waste your time.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11235712-cinder
*

Total Book count thus far for the year: 16\52
Page Totals: 2,761= 5,624

No comments:

Post a Comment