GallivatinSorensens

GallivatinSorensens

Sunday, January 15, 2017

Books to Movies & The Best of 2016


Books to Movies 

(and TV Shows in some cases)

*Please note that some review opinions are fully typed in bold. That's a Blogger website error that won't undo for some reason. 

Oz: The Wizard of Oz and Return to Oz I've always enjoyed (although Derek and basically everyone else finds Return to Oz creepy) but having read several books in the series I can see where things where pulled from the different books to make 2 different movies.  NBC just came out with a new show called Emerald City; it's not close to the books per say, but it does have more in them than the other stories do with just 2 episodes out. 

Allegiant: Book was finished at the end of 2015 and the movie came out back in March of this 2016 year.  Movie was way off from the book and I agree with my nephew on not liking the movie version-Tris should have died like in the book!

The Picture of Dorian Gray: Interesting twist on the book, rather more weird than it needed to be.

The Prince and the Pauper: I watched the Micky Mouse version, because who doesn't love Mickey?! And I was tending small children at the time so it was an added bonus.

Treasure Island: MUPPETS Treasure Island that it. I LOVE that movie, it's a go-to for me so I wouldn't consider watching any other version of it.

The Hound of the Baskervilles: The 1988 version: Felt like it followed the book pretty well, although I did fall asleep watching it..

Holes: The cheesy movie one would expect from a Disney movie.

The Finest Hours: I didn't really care for the movie, it didn't do a good job of keeping the interest for me; it felt like Hollywood had to change it when the original story was so much better.  

Eat, Pray, Love: Movie was pretty good, although a bunch of people at the time of the movie release in 2010 freaked out because "Movie Liz" ruined "Book Liz".


Beowulf:  Meh.  I lost interest in the movie fairly quickly.

The Jungle Book: Disney cartoon- pretty good comparatively for the first few chapters.
Disney 1994: I like the movie, no where near the book though.
Disney 2016: Probably the closest to the book you can get.  They touched on some of the cartoon songs and it was funny.  Some of the CGI was rough but I really enjoyed the movie.

World War Z: I honestly couldn't tell you because I lost interest and started reading a book.

Outlander: Ok so it's the TV series that I have not watched nor do I intend to.  My friend watches it and her review is "it's too rape-y".  The book was intense enough and rather repetitive that I don't care to finish the series.

The Mortal Instruments: Ok so last year I read the series (which was horrid), they made a movie (which was also horrid) and now they have a TV series which I had to watch a few episodes just to see how it goes.  They run more closer to the books than the movie did because obviously they have more time to.  But it's still horrid- with it being a series they have the time to develop plots like the book but they don't...

Inferno: As far as Dan Brown books being made into movies, this was just like the others- you watch it for all the cool stops it takes that you normally wouldn't get to see unless you google it or actually went on vacation there.  The first part of the movie gave me anxiety with how it was shot (the jumpy scenes of his "visions") but overall I was pleased with the movie.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde: I watched 2 different versions and didn't enjoy either one.


Gone Girl: The movie made it too easy to figure out the ending and didn't make you want to be on the husband's side as much. It was also too long.

Brave New World: The 1980 BBC TV version that is... here you watch it for yourself :)

Pride & Prejudice & Zombies: The book was rough to read because of having already read the original Pride & Prejudice. However, the movie just made it more cheesy and the action/comedy it's meant to be. And yet good times were had by all!


Freak the Mighty: The movie is called The Mighty.  We read this book during 1st term as a class and then watched the movie on Halloween at the library's black box theater.  It does a pretty good job of being close to the book.


Hatchet: I can't even count how many times I've read this book.  But after we read FTM I got to teach this book to the class (happy dance).  The Movie is called A Cry in the Wild. Surprisingly, not that many people knew there was a movie adaption. The book and movie are pretty close, although major key things are changed- but not enough to change the feel of the story.


The Unforgiven: Old western movie I barely was paying attention to.

The Count of Monte Cristo: EVERYONE I've talked to says that the book is by far better than the movie. Well I believe differently; both are very enjoyable but I found the movie to be more vengeful and more full of karma, the book stated things very matter-of-fact-ly and I was left saying "that's it?!"

Books to Movies still yet to be seen from 2016 reading list:
Around the World in 80 Days
Salem's Lot
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Dracula


Top 6 of 2016
1) Holes by Louis Sachar: I don't know why it took me so long to finally read this book, it seems like everyone read this over a decade ago, but I surprisingly really enjoyed it!
2) The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne. The ENTIRE chronicles thus far.
3) Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert.  Ok so there's a lot to her lifestyle that I don't agree with and whatnots but I admire her journey to find her own self discovery.  I think she could've done it a totally different way than hurting some of the people around her.
4) The Lost Symbol and Inferno by Dan Brown
5) Righteous Warriors: Lessons from the War Chapters in the Book of Mormon by John Bytheway. I've just discovered that the library has LDS ebooks, a little behind I know, but I've been reading a few of his books and thus far this one has been the most insightful.  With Lifestyles of the Great and Spacious close behind.
6) The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern


And my Goodreads Year in Books



No comments:

Post a Comment