GallivatinSorensens

GallivatinSorensens

Saturday, September 6, 2014

The Year's Not Over...

I've still have a few months left in the year so why not keep adding to the overall total? 
Granted now that school is back in session I'll have less time to read :(

The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Baker
pg. 352
Every female should read this book! It's AMAZING! Wish I had read it when I was still single and living on my own, would have solved a few issues a whole lot faster!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/56465.The_Gift_of_Fear?from_search=true
*****

Girls on the Edge: The 4 factors driving the new crisis for girls sexual identity, the cyberbubble, obsessions, environmental toxins by Leonard Sax
pg. 272

Anyone who has a little girl NEEDS to read this book! So much information to keep in mind while rising your girls, esp when they are turning into teenagers.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7960830-girls-on-the-edge?from_search=true
*****
Untamed (House of Night #4) by P.C. Cast
pg.338
Again, half the book can be basically skipped due to the repeated-ness of it all.
But after reading this book, I'm more interested in learning about some of the Native American folk-lore that the book refers to. So almost in a way, if you really stretch it, this book could be very cultural enlightening. 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2866718-untamed
***

The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier
pg. 267
Lakeside read this book last school year and the way the Sherrie reacted to it made me even more curious about it.  It's been on my to-read list for a VERY long time, and now I've read it.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17162.The_Chocolate_War
****

The Iron Butterfly (Iron Butterfly #1) by Chanda Hahn
pg. 265
Same author as the Unfortunate Fairy Tale Series, but since book 1 was free I gave it a go.
So much better than the other series, even though the main's are teenagers and they have hormones and well, are teenagers.  But still, this book was worth it.
 I'm nervous to invest into book 2 because book 2 of the Fairy Tale series was a let down and a waste. Other books will be read in the mean time.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13510491-the-iron-butterfly
****

Boys Adrift by Leonard Sax
pg. 288
Just like Girls on the Edge, SO GOOD! If you have boys you need to read this book!
Gives some really good insight into how young boys work. Also some good advice when it comes to school time. After discussing some of the topics in the book with Derek, I'm fairly certain that if we have boys, we're going to not let them start school until 7 years old.
And I really want to find a Waldkingdergarten aka Forest Kindergarden.  
They have them in Germany. Just need to find one like it here..
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1139231.Boys_Adrift
*****



55 + 6= 61 Books/ 52
19,258 + 217 pages of a book a didn't want to finish + 1,782 = 21,257 Pages


Another book I tried to read but wimped out on: 
Faith of Our Fathers: A House Divided Volume 1 by N.C. Allen
pg. 458
Local LDS author so I decided to give it a go.
I have a VERY hard time with books that just keep adding the same amount of information as if I'm dumb and can't remember what they already wrote (Derek can confirm this). The House of Night Series is a great example, however, I can easily skim through that and not miss anything.  This book is harder due to the fact I'm nervous that I actually might miss something relevant. 
It's not due to the lack of action in the book either, I can handle that. 
It's all the unneeded fluff I can't handle.
I DID like the many points of view from the different characters, however it felt like the Southern slave owners were not typical Southern salve owners 1860's.  
Granted I know not all slave owners were super horrid to their slaves, but this family in the book seemed to flip-flop too much.
Maybe I'll try again later... I only got 217 pages into it.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/273891.Faith_of_Our_Fathers


No comments:

Post a Comment