GallivatinSorensens

GallivatinSorensens

Thursday, July 17, 2014

"You can swim all day in the Sea of Knowledge and not get wet"

<3
The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
pgs. 256
Found me a copy at DI for $0.75 = AWESOMENESS!
I absolutely LOVE this movie! It was high time that I read the book! The movie followed the book pretty closely too, leaving a few places/adventure out but that's typical of any movie conversion. The book was amazing as well, I had no problem finishing it! And I read it while up in Yellowstone, which is becoming another fun activity to do with Derek in the park- soak our feet in the river and read :)
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/378.The_Phantom_Tollbooth
*****
City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments #3) by Cassandra Clare
pgs. 541
Stuff happens, nothing that one couldn't predict.
Like I've said before. I've committed to finish this series, can't stop with being half way done.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3777732-city-of-glass
***

City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments #4) by Cassandra Clare
pgs. 424
UGH. Teenage drama.. seriously.
The author has the 2 main characters falling in love at age 17 and tries to justify it that their kind die off at early ages so they start families younger than most.  I know teens feel that they are utterly in love at that stage in life thus drawing a bigger fan base. 
I hated the narration for this book too, a different female voice and they added a male voice.  Yes he's nice to listen to but he gave everybody the voice of Irish stoner.  Not cool.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6752378-city-of-fallen-angels
**
City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments #5-Final installment) by Cassandra Clare
pgs. 535
FINALLY DONE!
It was rough but I finished the series. Maybe if I was 13 when I read this series I would enjoy it more.  However, I'm 29 and could only see the ridiculousness of it all.  The author was always really good with details I'll give her that.  And I'm sure Clare is many times better of an author than Myers (I will NEVER read the twilight series, but when I worked at Red Rock, the girls on my unit read it enough and unfortunately shared enough of the books with me that I can make this claim).
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8755776-city-of-lost-souls
***
JK! Just learned that book #6 came out the end of May... *sigh*
 Must... Finish... Series... So close to the end...

The Last Mile (Eriksson #9) b L.S. Sygnet
pgs. 317
Ok so this one did a MUCH better job of telling a crime story than the other book.  This one could have been combined with the previous novel that's for sure, however, it could still stand alone. A few half-hearted twists that could have been given more thought to in order to keep the reader guessing longer.
Sorry Sygnet but you're a little bit easy to predict.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19407807-the-last-mile
****

Patron Saint of Deomons (Eriksson #10) by L. S. Sygnet
pgs. 345
More of the story unfolded... ok not really so.  The author did throw in a homegrown terrorist ordeal which was new, but not very in-depth.  I have a hard time believing that this group had "big  plans" and yet was foiled so easily, and 2 of the big shots died rather quickly.
One more book left in the series thus says the website...
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21855200-patron-saint-of-demons-eriksson
***

Fire in the East (Warrior of Rome #1) by Harry Sidebottom
pgs. 432
Ah, Historical Fiction novels written by history professors...
SO MUCH DETAIL!!!
Took me FOREVER to finish this book because of all the details. It was a good story and all. And since I had to but this book (thank-you www.thriftbooks.com for finding me a copy for only $3) I'm not sure if I want to risk and get book #2.  The library doesn't carry it, so I feel no commitment to finish out the series like some other books.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3979407-fire-in-the-east
***

Forbidden Forest (Legends of Regia #1) by Tenaya Jayne

pgs. 204
Interesting take of the fantasy side of things. Very quick read although for it being a trilogy I think the author jumped rather quickly into the romance between the two main's. The way they became involved was very predictable even before the two main's met. It was entertaining enough to continue on reading the series. 
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15995396-forbidden-forest
***

Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassins #1) by: Robin LaFevers
pgs. 549
Ah.... a book that isn't directly written for spouting teens! Although one was able to figure out the love interest, the author didn't let them "entwine their love" until half way through the book.  Totally a chick-kicks-butt book, it's even in the series title that the main is an assassin. It seems that the other 2 books are written from the other 2 assassin's adventures- I'll give the second book a try but we'll see..
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9565548-grave-mercy
****

Marked (House of Night #1) by P.C. Cast
pgs.306
Upon arriving at the nearest library to fetch a book I need to finish, which wasn't there like the library's system said it was, and the library staff were less than willing to help me find said book, I saw this resting near book #2 of first said book.  So why not? Russian Book Roulette did not disappoint me this time. Although it was written for the teen audience, I did enjoy her view of the whole vampire (they spell it vampyre) ordeal.  It is a series and I am ok with trying to finish it. But we'll see...
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30183.Marked
***

30 + 10 = 40 Books/ 52
10,409 + 3,909 = 14,318 Pages


10 more books to go until goal met!

No comments:

Post a Comment